Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Back to school...sort of

Start of school is just around the corner. You may think this is a good thing. Sadly, I have to go back to school before Princess does - and I can't say I'm too excited about it. I am, however THRILLED that princess is going back to school.

What the HECK did my parents do to entertain us all summer? OY! Since I'm heading back to school next Monday and the weather has been sort of dreary (translated it has been raining and overcast since Friday....although about 2 this afternoon the sun did start to shine a little) we planned a few indoor things to do this week to end summer with a bang.

Yesterday we went to the Air Zoo. It's about an hour from our house, and I was pleasantly surprised with our experience. It consisted of 2 buildings. The main building was a big hanger, with several old planes (including an SR-71) on display. Guided tours were offered (by what appeared to be WWII veterans, LOL) and those who took them seemed to be taking in all the tidbits of information being offered to them. There were even fighter flight simulators available, but Princess wanted none of that (which surprised me because after our Disney experience she seems to be a complete thrill seeker, no fear!). The second building had a mix of a museum feel, some more old planes, and displays with old uniforms and guns, etc.... and some cool hands on stuff. There was a spot where you could try to remotely steer a "mars rover". You were behind a wall and could only see what the rover could see. There was even a place that you could strap yourself in and with the help of a big old piece of machinery, feel like you were jumping on the moon. Princess tried it and thought it was just about the coolest thing ever! I truly thought she would be bored out of her mind, but she really had a great time. There was a 3-D movie about the last flight of a B-17 during WWII, it was short and I thought it was OK - but her majesty did not like it at all. And believe me, I had to hear all about it! Thankfully that was the only thing that didn't meet with her liking :-)

On the way home we stopped by Grandma's to show her the solar system model/mobile kit we had bought at the gift shop. I told mom since today was supposed to be another crappy day and considering I started school next week, I thought I better take Princess out and buy her a few nice new school clothes. She thought it was a great idea and offered to come along and foot the bill. Yeah Grandma! Princess got 1 pair of pants (she is SO picky! and the poor kid has wide hips like me so it is IMPOSSIBLE to find clothes that fit her) and 4 or 5 shirts and 2 pairs of shoes. I just love it when Grandma pays and we don't have to look at the price tag. I mean, she picked out a pair of black boots that were $45 and my mother let her have them! Is she crazy??

OK, have I mentioned Princess is starting a new school this year? Registration isn't until Friday (and did I mention I start school on Monday?), so I tried to call the school to find out what sort of supplies I needed to buy. I loved the charter school but, seriously, we had to buy a TON of supplies. I have no problem with this, but I don't want to go and buy our usual just to find out that she only needs half of it. So, I call the school and get a mesage that says "we're closed for the summer and will re-open on Tueday August 21". Since we were heading out shopping today I called the school this morning...and got the SAME message. Tried again after lunch, SAME message. Well, maybe they are setting up in the gym for registration and nobody is by the phone. So, we drove over there, just to check. Nope, all locked up. Now, I love princess, but sometimes that child gets on my nerves! We get back in the van and she looks at me and says, "so, what, I'm just going to show up on the first day of school without any supplies". Honestly, I wanted to reach over and smack her!

Through gritted teeth I explained to her that we would get a list at registration, as we had previously discussed and we would go for supplies next Tuesday since I don't have classes on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Like she is so deprived and so mistreated that we would send her back to school with no supplies. GRRR, she is NOT long for this world, I'm tellin' ya!

Some days motherhood is just not my thing, ya know?

7 comments:

Emily Suess said...

Hang in there! Even princesses get a little edgy at the start of school. Grandma is AWESOME! :D

Lippy said...

I had a recent tentative experience like your Air Zoo outing, and I too was happy to see the kids eating it up. Always working hard to make those summer memories, ya know?

LOL, I love when I can identify with exactly what someone is writing, as in the "talking through gritted teeth" moment. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

i honestly can't remember all that my parents did with us all summer, but i know it consisted of swimming, playing, outings, and such.

and vacations.


as for school supplies, we got those after school started.
tell princess that! ha ha ha.
:]

Yolanda said...

Good luck on all the school preparations.

TJ said...

Hey gurl...I found ya.
How is life on your side of the state?
School shopping...uhmmm I took the oldest granddaughter now 8 years old with a budget of $200.00 from her mom. What a great time we had...but we sure could have used more bucks!! Trust me we ALL question our abilities...TJ

Christy said...

To answer your question about what our parents did to entertain us during the summers well my answer is my parents didn't entertain us, we had to entertain ourselves, we had fun chores to do (garden..aka pulling weeds, going out to the back 40..literally and picking berries before it got too hot), and then we'd get dropped off at the pool on Dad's way to work and stay there until mom got off, and if we were grounded, we stayed home and cleaned or something "productive" like that! LOL

ROFL at the whole supply response! LOL Got to love her. Have to say the museum sounds like fun. I know Jacob would love it!!!

Charles said...

My co-worker said that she had to buy a ton of school supplies for her daughter too. What struck me as an odd thing on the list is that she has to buy two boxes of tissue. Why would they need tissue for school? She also said it seems as if the teacher was making the parents buy more than they need so they can share.