Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Me Time

I've sort of been blog surfing tonight and it made me wonder why so many of us choose this as a form of release. Is it emotional? For satisfaction? I suppose probably a little bit of both. Some people are brave enough to do this as a means of staying in contact with their families. I'm not sure I could let anybody I know IRL into this corner of me. Not that I'm complicated, or hiding anything...I'm just not sure I'm ready for anybody to know ALL of me.

Talking about things here frees up my head for "dealing" with every day life. I can come here and dump and then get up the next morning feeling refreshed. Putting some of this out into the cosmos makes room for new stuff to come in, and lets me step back and look at what is really going on inside my head.

I don't think of myself as an outstanding writer. I do like to write, and I think most of the time I get my point across. And I don't mean this to sound as if I'm getting up on a high horse, but after blog surfing tonight I do wonder why some people write. Some can barely put together a cohesive paragraph and others type no more than a few sentences in each post. So, obviously blogging is not just for those of us who feel comfortable writing. It's more of a draw than just the writing. There is something else that sucks us in.

I wonder what I would do if my IRL friends ever found my blogs. I don't speak of them here, so in that respect I am safe. But I do put a lot of what makes me tick here. Would they be scared when they see the depth of my grief. Would they recognize parts of me within these pages? Or would the person here seem like a stranger to them?

I know that the blogs that keep me coming back are ones much like mine. Women (and men) who talk about their daily life. People who bare a little bit of their souls inside each new post. I like to see that I'm not the only one struggling...that I'm not the only one completely confused! So perhaps that is why we blog? To make the world a little bit smaller? To make our doorstep a little bit bigger? I'd like to think this common thread makes us all part of one great big subdivision.

It IS a small world after all.

4 comments:

Emily Suess said...

I usually feel a bit self-indulgent and a little silly when I do it, but yes, I totally use my blog as a form of emotional release (my latest entry --case in point). There are only a few people I know in real life who read my blog. I just think it's better that way.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone IRL reads my blog. If they do, we haven't ever discussed it. I have been pretty private about it (well as private as you can be on the internet).

I do get some random comments every once in awhile that make me think it's someone IRL, but other than that, I blog for me. I love the sounding board that I usually get in return though.

:]

Charles said...

Everyone in my house knows of my blog, but only one of them has actually read it to my knowledge. I don't think anyone else knows though, although I have mentioned it to other people.

When I first started posting, it was because I wanted to reach out and meet others. I felt lonely, and I had no idea how to IM people I didn't know. It ended up becoming a lifeline, because sometimes when I came home from a bad day of work, I could log in and see that other peoples lives were even more challenging, and that I may have it easier than I thought.

Maybe I do put a little bit too much info on my blog, but there are definitely some things that have gone on that I haven't...couldn't share here.

Sue said...

I totally agree. I have to make myself sit there and wonder why I read certain blogs and why I sometimes go weeks without blogging anything new but you are right -- it is a way to release something in way that is relatively safe. There are still somethings I need to say but some of my IRL family would be hurt as they know about my blog -- maybe I need to start a secret one :)