Monday, November 27, 2006

The greatest of these...

So, the sermon yesterday was incredible. It was a topic that was near and dear to my heart. Mostly because it is one I struggle with.

The pastor was reflecting on a couple of verses in Matthew. Specifically Matthew 22:37-39, which says "...'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND. This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'"

I've been reflecting on my own favorite question, "can the world tell what I believe or that I believe or ANYTHING about me by the way I act?" or maybe "what does the world think of me based on the way I act?" I'm not sure which answer is scarier. And I guess my favorite local D.J. must have been wondering the same thing lately because every morning last week the banter between songs seemed to include little messages like "the stores are crowded today so if you're heading out remember that you are a child of God and your actions should reflect that".

Which got me to thinking about all the opportunities that I miss out on to simply be nice. Oh, now, don't get me wrong. I'm basically a nice person. I'm the mom the teacher calls when she needs something. I'm the one who brings snacks to college when we're overloaded with homework and I can tell everybody needs a break. I don't let traffic get to me (not like there's a TON of traffic in West Michigan).

Anyway, so back to the sermon. I was listening as the pastor talked about how once we loved people (and I mean REALLY love people) the rest of the commandments fall into line. And that totally makes sense. But, it's not as easy as it sounds. Is it?

And then he pulled out the kicker. He quoted from an article written by a self-professed atheist - an article which extolled the virtues of charity. Yup, charity. The article speaks to the aftermath of Hurrican Katrina. It's from 2005, but as I search the internet I find references to the tens of thousands of volunteers who have travelled to the gulf coast. I know churches from West Michigan are still sending relief teams to lend a hand. All this as 2006 draws to an end.

So, if you're looking for proof that simply loving your neighbor can make a difference, I encourage you to go and read the article. See for yourself how love shines above all other things.

Article -


Faith Does Breed Charity

7 comments:

Charles said...

I sent money to the Red Cross for Katrina victims. I got a card in the mail telling me that they recieved it. Then I found out that people were using the money for things other than rebuilding or helping people in need. There is always someone out there taking advantage of a situation.

I think those dishonest people could have used that quote in your post.

Lippy said...

I really try hard to live by those 2 rules. I'm not always successful, but there has to be some kind of partial credit for effort, right?

I don't think any of us would be too bad off if we kept on trying to live that way

Anonymous said...

I loved the article!!! Thanks for sharing

BosieLadie said...

Just popped in to see how you're doing. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and that your Christmas is coming together.

Tammy Brierly said...

Faith does breed charity...lovely post! I wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Charles said...

Even if you don't get this in time, Merry Christmas Kelly.

Chief RZ said...

The world does see our light. I sometimes send money, but rather invest my time one-on-one.