Tuesday, September 11, 2007

1/2 hour makes a difference

This last week of getting off to school has been blissful. There has been little whining from Princess (and yes, we are still in the honeymoon period with our new school but I have a good feeling about this!). We have gotten out the door on time, even on the days that I have to get to school too. This is the way I wish every morning could go. There is nothing I hate more than having to rush, except for maybe getting out the door late.

I was talking to a mom at the football game tonight (yes, we cheered again tonight, you can tell I'm thrilled, right?) and she made the point that it must be nice that our new school starts a full 1/2 hour after our old school. Yes, it goes 1/2 longer at the end of the day....but that 1/2 hour in the morning really has made a TON of difference. We can now sleep in until 7:30, which seems a lot later than our 7:00 from last year. Waking up Princess has not been as awful. She rolls out of bed with little complaint and once she was even awake before the alarm (which, of course, made mommy none to happy....mommy likes to sleep....well, in the morning, not so much late at night when I am enjoying my solitude).

In the morning, even though we are traveling a few miles farther, it still only takes us 10 minutes to get there. This means we don't have to leave the house until 8:15, which makes me SO happy! I hadn't realized how much I appreciated that 1/2 hour until this other mom mentioned it!

So, more cheerleading stress. Somebody please just put me out of my misery. On Tuesday nights the little guys get to play on the varsity field. Complete with an announcer and the lights turned on...the whole nine yards. This is nice for us poor parents as it means we can sit in bleachers instead of a mish mash of lawn chairs that make their regular appearance at the practice field we usually play on. The cheerleaders get to be on the track instead of in the mud, which is always a plus for those of us who have to do the laundry. Tonight we arrive 1/2 hour early, as we have been told to before each game. Only one cheerleader has arrived before us and most don't roll in for another 15 minutes. The announcer comes by and asks for a list of the cheerleaders (they introduce all the football players and cheerleaders by name before each game and let them run out on the field... it is just too cute...) And coach (who is annoying coordinator's high school daughter) looks blankly at him like he has just asked her for her phone number or something. She has no list. So, I volunteer to go back to my vehicle and get a pen and paper and I set to the task of getting all the names. The night sort of went downhill from there.....although the team we were cheering for did win - so the night was NOT a total loss! And the coach is lucky she didn't get strangled by one of us disgruntled mothers....as we watched her standing there staring blankly offering little direction to the poor cheerleaders who were freezing their butts off!

But, tomorrow is a new day. And you can wait patiently with me while I see how long it takes somebody to call us and let us know the time and place of our game on Saturday. The schedule is supposed to be posted on Wednesday, but I've got my money on about 7pm Friday night.....

5 comments:

Lippy said...

Bravo on the extra 1/2 hour. Yes, I truly do appreciate how much that means to you!

Coincidentally, I also know what you're dealing with in Cheer Coach. Been-there-done-that, but luckily, my girl moved on from Cheerleading!

Emily Suess said...

The university switched morning class from 9:30 to 9:00 (we went the other dirction!) and I can so feel the difference it makes.

I think this cheerleading stuff will qualify you for mommy sainthood. :)

Anonymous said...

How nice to have that extra 1/2 hour! As for the cheerleading, I cannot get over how unorganized it is! I'd be fuming!

Anonymous said...

NICE BLOG.

Christy said...

Wahoo on the extra 30 minutes, and being we're so much alike on that particular issue I can definately appreciate the extra half hour of sleep!

Now onto the cheerleading, ok seriously I found it far too amusing at first and granted you really did just start, but this is just simply rediculous, you guys pay money and a fair amount of it at that, this girl is obviously not mature enough (I'm giving her credit that being comptetant isn't really the issue, maybe maturity is more the issue??) anyways...it's just rediculous and these sweet girls would be far better off if you mom's were helping out vs having this girl as the coach.

That's just my opinion though! ;)