Friday, November 09, 2007

Just a little dusty

There are times when being a mother is just a thankless job.

Princess has been facing a lot of changes in the last few months. I recognize that and I have truly been trying to take it easy as far as discipline goes.

But, you know how kids are...give them an inch and they take a mile.

I guess that's not necessarily a "kid" thing, given the same circumstances we all take the path of least resistance and try to find out just how much we use something to our advantage.

I'm OK with that.

I'm also OK with the fact that she is ten. You know, the closer she gets to the teen years the more and more unpredictable her emotions become. I get that.

BUT SOME DAYS!!!

Lately it has been like pulling teeth to get her to do anything. Homework, taking her plate to the kitchen, rinsing off dishes, simply getting dressed and ready on time. She seems to be under the mistaken impression that if she throws a tantrum for long enough she will get her own way. We have lived together for 10 years. She KNOWS this is not true. She knows it will work with Grandma, and sometimes her dad. But she knows it does not work with me.

So, what? Is she just TRYING to get on my last nerve? Because she is succeeding! Take the other day for example. It was past time to clean her room and since part of her closet is used for storage I told her I would work on that. Meanwhile I wanted her to try some clothes on because she has grown like another 12 feet in the last few months. When she refused I told her that was fine, but she was staying in her room and there would be no other activity until she had made progress. Now I'm sure you see where this is going. She told me I was the meanest mother on the face of the planet and proceeded to slam every door she could lay her hands on (yup, she's a slammer). When dinner was ready she said she wasn't hungry. And, being the MEAN mom that I am I made her sit at the table anyway (so, OK, maybe that part was a little bit for my benefit because I enjoyed finding yet another way to tick her off....but I also knew she was hungry and that if she came down she would eventually eat, which she did....YIPPEE ME! I'm a smart mommy!)

I know, I know! That's a typical exchange...and maybe I just want somebody to tell me that it will get better. Just remember that when you tell me it WILL get better - don't mention the fact that it's gonna take another 10 years before it does :-)


And just to remind myself that she really is adorable


10 comments:

Astaryth said...

Dang! I was all set to tell you it would be all better in 8-10 years and you jumped in to tell me I couldn't tell you that ;p Oh, well....

And, I am sure you are not the meanest Mommy in the world because I know for a fact that I was LOL!

Janis said...

Followed you here from your J-Land journal. :) I clicked a few times on Topmomma...lol.

I love the music you have on here..may have to sit down and try to figure it out for myself for my blog.

As far as the Princess is concerned it reminds me of my favorite Bible verse "And this too, shall pass." I tell myself that a lot. While my little one is only 10 months we are starting to see a bit of the temper that is there. I also work with high schoolers so I see some of those bigger tempers at time as well.

Just keep letting her know you love her--unconditionally!

Janis

Emily Suess said...

I need to go apologize to my mom for being ten. :) Hang in there!

Christy said...

Ok so I read this yesterday and I laughed...tonight I'm so tired at this point and it's only 5:30 and I'm in tears thinking "what might have been"...I know you KNOW what I'm talking about and I'll leave it at that.

Love you and Kel...give her a hug for ME...since I can't do it for my own! I love you girl.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry............this to will pass and you will want them there making you crazy again! Linda

Anonymous said...

I clicked over here from Top Momma!

Your Princess is adorable. Girls! I think they do everything in their power to make mom crazy! I'm sure it will get better. I'm still waiting!

Lippy said...

Hey there, I'm just a couple of years ahead of you with my daughter. You have hit on something that worked so well for me - not yelling or screaming so much, but making them do something ridiculous (sitting at the table anyway is a favorite of mine). I found that stuff like that works so much better than drama, because they don't want to tell their friends that they stood in the corner, or things like that. Screaming back and forth with Mom makes for better gossip, so these silly "rules" are far more effective. Good job being "Mean Mommy" :) Someone told me they'll eventually thank us for this - not sure about that!

And a salute to you for Veterans Day

MA'AM :)

Anonymous said...

Oh hon.
It will get better.
I mean, I'm not a parent, and my mom & I's relationship is, well, different, so I don't really know for sure, but...It will get better.

And you're not a mean momma!
:]

Anonymous said...

Your princess is adorable. Looks lie her mother. Happy veterans dy to you, thanks Bill

Louie said...

Heheehee...I'm laden with teen girls,(a 12-year old who will be 13 in a few months, a 16-year old and an 18-year old...oh, and the poor 8 year old brother who will hopefully learn numerous lessons about women in his life here in this house)

I won't even give you any mommy advice cuz I'm struggling to figure out how to deal with my 18 year old who has suddenly turned into a stranger. Ungrateful, uncaring, extremely selfish, hurtful, just plain weird.

Best I can tell you is just roll with it and shake your head and prepare for the coming battles, this is just 'conditioning' for the future. Hang tough and love her through it all no matter how much you might wanna make her sit at that table all night! LOL

I adore all my kids to the ends of the earth no matter how much they think they know or hurt me (that in itself makes me mad on some days)darn unconditional love thing is evil! ;)

Funny you should post a pic of Princess like that, whenever I'm angry with my kids, I turn to my collage of pictures and dream of the days when life was so much simpler...aahh, motherhood should be a paying job sometimes.