Saturday, December 03, 2005

Back to School

Transfer orientation. That's what it was called - transfer orientation. Aptly named since it was meant for students who are transferring from other institutions. So, explain to me why they spent an HOUR of my time explaining to me what a course catalogue and campus map are? I'm thinking we've all been in college before. We're familiar with how to navigate our way through course descriptions and prerequisites. Did we really need to spend an HOUR on these things?!!

Just about the time I was getting ready to doze off, they said it was time to break into small groups to go meet with our individual departments. Out of about 35 students only 6 of us were Math/Science majors - the rest were Humanities. Our small group set out in the freezing cold with our 2 advisors (who were all of about 20 years old). Thankfully it was a short walk to our department and we were greeted by the senior advisor.....who I'm still guessing is younger than me! What a strange feeling that is. We were plopped down in front of computers, given a list of required courses, plus a list they had put together for us of classes that they suggest we sign up for. After what felt like a million attempts I finally put together a list of classes that I am almost happy with. The GOOD news is they are all in the same building. What are the odds? Classes from three different disciplines and they are all in the same building! The bad news is they are smack in the middle of the day.


This means as it stands right now I won't be able to keep the job that I have. Which I love!

Still no word from financial aid. I'm chomping at the bit waiting for this one. I need to find out how broke I am going to be for the (well, for the) foreseeable future. At least parking here is surprisingly cheaper than my community college. Still a good chunk of change ($65 per semester) but not bad in the grand scheme of tuition, books and other fees.

This morning dad & I went to see Aeon Flux. It was barely an hour and a half long. Not bad over all, but hardly worth paying $6.50 for a ticket (and lets not even get into the price of popcorn and pop!). I still haven't made it to see Rent - GRRRRR - Maybe I'll find a hole in my schedule this week so I can go see it. That dude from Law & Order is so HOT! And yes, I know he was on Broadway in Rent before he was that Law & Order dude, so forgive me for typecasting him as some TV detective.

I still have to get over to my parents house and work on the Quicken File. I just don't want to go back out in the cold! It's only 23 today, and all the snow just makes it feel so much colder. Ah well, I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get it over with.

3 comments:

TJ said...

I am happy that you can bite the bullet and get everything pulled together.
Winter is just starting and I already want it gone.
The movie was just ok at best huh?
I will take your word for it and wait for the DVD.
Have a great weekend you two~
Wishing you health, happiness and Peace.
Love TJ~

http://paisleyskys.blogspot.com/

Charles said...

They actually spent a hour on there course catalogue and campus map? Wow, I bet they could have found more important things to spend time on. The don't have the classes for the courses you want to take after your job is over for the day?

Bon & Mal Mott said...

Movie theaters are reaching a point at which few people will be able to pay for the experience (and home entertainment is so much cheaper and more pleasant.)
It's a shame you have to give up an enjoyable job to continue education. The choices that life forces upon us can really suck sometimes.
Bon & Mal