Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Breaking Bad Habits

Ah, the joys of motherhood. Although this time I guess I am as much to blame as the princess. We are in the midst of breaking a bad habit. And, of course, I am totally to blame. Just ask her, she'll tell you!

You see Princess has been sleeping in my bed. I didn't think much of this until we got back from our vacation in Florida. I set one of our suitcases on the end of her bed and wouldn't you know it, around came the middle of April and the dang suitcase was still on her bed! Then, somewhere in the back of my head a little alarm went off. I KNEW she was sleeping with me every night, but somehow I didn't KNOW she wasn't sleeping in her own bed. I know, it doesn't make much sense, but there it is.

One of the few perks of single parenting is when your 9 year old crawls into your queen sized bed with you, it's not quite as invasive as if there is another person already in that bed. So I let it go. It would seem I let it go for a really long time.

Down came the suitcase, and still no luck getting her back in her own bed. I guess since it's almost always just the two of us all day long, she figured she should be able to be in my room all night too. It's not even like she NEEDS to be in my room. She's not one of those kids who gets hysterical left alone in her room, she's not afraid of the dark. I don't know what it is.

From the time my kids were young I've always kept my eyes out for these "trappish" kind of things. They were never allowed to have pacifiers out of bed (or carseat when they were little!), I've always had it dark at night, took them in the shower with me, heck I never even cut the crust off their bread. I just figure if they get used to something one way when they are young, it's harder to break those habits when they are older.

I just don't know how I let this sleeping pattern get out of control....ah, but I have found a solution. I say this like it is a major accomplishment, and yet I know that if her wanting to sleep with me is the biggest of my worries, I am really a very lucky mom. But, I decided to force my hand and make her sleep in her own bed. I had her help me do some rearranging in my bedroom this weekend and in the process I set several large things on my bed. And then, darn, we ran out of time so....

Aren't I awful? She has been sleeping in her bed all week and I have been sleeping on the couch. Which is a bad habit for me because now I can fall asleep in front of the TV. Shame on me! My strategy is working though. She has fallen in love with her room all over again and I think on Friday I will move everything off my bed and see how it goes.

I'm looking forward to having that big bed all to myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha.
hey, you do what you have to do, right? good luck breaking your TV habit now! :] ♥

Emily Suess said...

That's genius--don't know that I would have thought of it. Hope all goes well.