Sunday, May 27, 2007

Who made it OK

Somewhere along the line it has become acceptable by society to expose our young children to more and more violence and sex and suggestive language. Just take a look around you, TV, movies, video games, heck even bill boards! you can't get away from it! I posted a few posts recently in my other blog (here and here) so forgive me if I am repeating myself but I am a so angry with the overwhelming amount of children who are getting cheated out of their childhood.

Let's start with Shrek. When it first came out Princess was too young to watch it, but now that Shrek the Third has hit theaters I knew that she would be hearing her friends at school talk about it and may ask to be taken to the theater to see it. So, I revisited the original Shrek (which I think is hysterical!) and came to the conclusion that this is not a children's movie. I mean come on, Eddie Murphy? You can't get through a scene in this movie without sexual innuendo or the old comic fall back "potty humor". I really don't need my young child hearing stuff she doesn't understand which she will be tempted to repeat. I never saw the 2nd in the Shrek series and I doubt I'll see this most recent one. I know Princess won't be allowed to until she's about 12!

Which brings me to (yes, you all knew it was coming) the latest installment of Pirates. I liked it better than the 2nd one (which dad and I walked out on). Again, this film was rated PG-13 and so easily could have been done in a way that it was PG. Although as far as I can tell the film rating people might as well just retire. Nobody cares what a film is rated any more. At least half the kids in the audience were under 10 (let alone the 13 that the film rating recommends). But somewhere along the way our society has decided that there is nothing that we can't expose our children to.

Do these kids really want to see these movies? Or is it that the parents want to see them and it's just easier to drag the kids along. The latest installment of Pirates was LONG (run time 170 minutes). What is wrong with kids today that one under the age of 7 can even sit still long enough to watch a movie this long? What are we doing to our society?

Personally I think that somewhere along the way we let moral absolutes go out the window and this has given us carte blanche to be lazy and parent by default. Do whatever is easiest and whatever makes you happiest. The kids will survive somehow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have hit the nail upon the head squarely with this post. I have felt this way for years and it is good to read that someone agrees with me. The damage we are doing to our youth will takes years to manifest, but one day we, as a society, will pay for these mistakes.
Sam

Christy said...

ITA with you when it comes to Shrek.I was just stunned when a friend of mine took her 6 yr old to see the Third one this past Sunday. The first one was not appropriate (I've seen it the boys haven't) and I knew there was NO WAY the follow ups would ever be ok.

I haven't even seen the Pirate movies (get off the floor) but I remember you and Tami both saying that the 2nd and 3rd weren't appropriate and as Chad says "controlling" as I am over what the boys watch I just figure there are other movies out there that ARE age appropriate. Of course what disgusts me is that Disney has jumped on this sexual inuendo and questionable words, etc. I thought Cars was a very cute movie, but some of the things in it could have just simply been left out and it would have been even better IMO. Then we won't even get started on the liberal biased junk on Happy Feet and all the sexual inuendo in that movie.

Simply put our children are not getting to stay innocent like they SHOULD be because of Hollywood and so many other parents stupidity.