Monday, April 24, 2006

Turning a Page

This semester has been tough, and from the lecture my academic advisor gave me I'm guessing next fall isn't going to be any prettier. For the most part my classes have been interesting, my teachers (with one exception) enjoyable to listen to. Here's how things stack up. I start my day out with Intro to Statistics, which is sort of required by way of being a prereq for a class I have to take for my major AND my minor. After that, two hours of Calculus I, Derivatives, which being a math major you can guess is definately required. Next up, Cross-Cultural Psychology, required for my minor. And rounding out my day is History of Medicine and Health. They're all tough classes. My statistics teacher is fabulous, and lets us bring our notes into tests, but I always seem to make enough little mistakes to end up with a B, so I'm guessing I'll get a B in her class. My psych prof is SO amazing, he loves the subject and has really gotten us involved in a lot of great discussions in class. Unfortunately, his tests have been hard to predict and I'm expecting a C in his class....maybe a B- if I'm really, really lucky! History of Medicine, another really interesting subject. My prof there, too, is really smart and she loves the subject matter. It's also a writing course, so I have a good chance of pulling off a B+ from her, and if I'm really good on the final I can pull of an A- (yippee!). Now, for the downer. My calculus prof should have definately chosen another profession. Although, she hasn't spoken to the point specifically, I do believe this is her first semester teaching - and let me just say - it shows! But, better than that I have a required class that I have to take winter semester next year and she is the only one teaching it! How sad am I? If I can pull off a B on the final I might be able to squeek out a C in this class, but at this point I'm setting the bar low - 63 is all I need for a passing grade, so I'll be happy as long as I don't have to take it again!

I have to take 4 classes over the summer to catch up with my curriculum. One of them I can take online, but I also have to take Calc 2, Integrating - and for the summer semester that means taking it twice as fast. I barely survived Calc 1 at the regular pace, so I hope I at least have a decent teacher for the next one.

I had spring break WAY back at the beginning of March and I took princess down to Atlanta for a few days. We went to opening weekend at Six Flags Atlanta and we rode roller coasters until I wanted to puke. It was a perfect day! We also went to their new aquarium, which princess wasn't too thrilled with and took the World of Coke tour. Let's just say we might as well only have gone to Six Flags, because that was ALL she talked about on the ride home. I kept her out of school for a week, and she made sure to tell all her friends that she was getting TWO spring breaks this year. She had her spring break the first week in April and my dad took her to Mammoth Caves. They had fun (despite her 24 hour stomach flu, puking 3 times in the hotel bed and my dad panicking and taking her to the ER!). She's going to be spending a lot of time with Grandma & Grandpa this summer while I'm in class. I just have THE best parents. They have stood by me helping out financially and always being available to take care of Grace. And Grace loves spending time with them. Heck, I do too, they afe fun people!

I'm sure there are a few more things that happened over the last five months. Oh, I sidelined Mr. Right Now. Semi-permanently I think. Part of it my lack of time, and part of it his inability to stand up for what is best for his boys. He's too afraid to make waves with his parents and his ex - even though he KNOWS what's going on is only making a bad situation worse for his young sons. Aside from his lack of backbone he's a great guy. I'm sure there is some control freak out there who will make him a decent girlfriend :-)

Hmmm, what else am I forgetting? I think those are the hilights for now, anyway.

This week I have 2 exams Tues and 2 exams Wed. On top of that we have Social Studies fair Tues night (last year it was science fair) and princess made a covered wagon. It turned out really good - and I hardly had to do any of the work! I'll have to remember to take a picture so you can see how cute it is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly glad to see your back! I hope this semester is good! (for both of us!) Linda

greatwhitebear said...

Wow! You have already won my undying respect!

TJ said...

and a big fat shame one me!!! Your have it all going on over there. Sounds very chaallenging to me.Calculas..that sends me into a tail spin.
Gosh it is nice to have you back...
Love TJ

Anonymous said...

Kelly you truly amaze me. I'm glad this semester is almost over for you, although summer looks to be just as busy for you in the school dept.
I love you and know you're working your tush off so you can give you and Grace a better life.

I've missed you so much. I know you're so busy and I'm so proud of you. Just know and remember someone in Germany loves you.