Sunday, April 30, 2006

Still Sick?

Thank goodness for antibiotics right? The miracle drugs of the 20th century. (well, excepting of course all the new germs that are mutating out from underneath them and lurking, waiting to wipe out a tenth of the population in some strange epidemic that we can only imagine is going to hit us soon..... but that's another entry altogether, isn't it?). We went back to the doctor yesterday morning and switched from amoxicillin to keflex and by the end of the day princess was almost back to normal. We took it easy today - although we did sneak out to see The Wild. Not sure I really enjoyed it, but it was nice to get out of the house. Fast forward to about dinner time when the complaints start again. Upset tummy, headache. The doctor told us yesterday that if she was still feeling icky on Monday she would be sending us in to get blood drawn to see if she has Mono. Yes, MONO! who knew an 8 year old could even get mono? When we left the doctor said "See you Monday", so you know she thought right then and there it's probably mono. I guess it could be worse. No yucky medicine. Just try to make the 8 year old take it easy for an entire month. That should be easy.

I guess she could still wake up early tomorrow and feel great. I shouldn't resign myself to the bad news before it happens.

At least I've gotten past the point of sheer panic. It's so easy to get wrapped up in everything that could be wrong. Good to know that my pediatrician is always available to keep me sane :-)

2 comments:

Charley said...

Hi Kelly!
Make sure she takes it easy if she has mono!!! She can end up in a pinch if she doesn't - nobody wants chronic fatigue syndrome!

Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Astaryth said...

Mono?? AN eight year old? Well, I guess if you can get it from a drinking fountain at 15 you can at 8.... I hope it's not though cause... what a pain! Anyway, give the little one an extra hug.