Monday, May 01, 2006

Alright already! And the Boycott

All I'm going to say on the subject is that she woke up sick again, and long story short, she DOES have mono >sigh<

I feel like all I've been talking about lately is my sickie little girl! And since it's the big boycott today, I thought I'd take time to vent about that for a minute.

I heard a great analogy once regarding illegal aliens. The speaker said - imagine you are Bill Gates, you have worked hard, you have a huge house, and one day a family of ten just walks into your house and moves in. They're living in a wing of the house that you never use, so they are not in your way. They don't cause any problems, and relatively speaking would be considered good housemates.....except for the fact that they weren't invited!

It made sense to me. And really cuts to the heart of the problem. I don't want to hear "oh, we'll do jobs that nobody else will do". Living in a state that has one of the highest unemployment rates, I'm thinking that if illegal aliens were not doing some of these jobs - owners would figure out a way to employ some of those who are out of work.

And while we're sort of on the subject - let me just go off on a tangent and mention that when I was stationed in Tucson there were stories all over the news about how excited everybody was over the first citizenship ceremony being conducted in Spanish. Really, I wouldn't kid you! People becoming American citizens who don't even want to bother to learn enough of the language to be sworn in as a citizen!

Sometimes I just want to beat my head against a wall.......

And on that note I think I'm done ranting, for a few minutes anyway!


5 comments:

Astaryth said...

I once worked for several weeks in Mexico. I got all of my paper work, learned enough spanish to count my money, ask how much something was, and ask directions......... WHY don't people who are coming here have to do that???? WHY should they be teaching classes in school in SPANISH??? If you want to live here, learn the language, register, and respect MY country.... And that's all I have to say about that {sigh}

Dona Cox said...

As an elementary school student in Los Angeles (circa 1960s) I was expected to take and pass spanish whether I wanted to or not. Later in the 1980s my young sisters experienced the same. Seems the powers that be have been trying to push this off on us for over forty years.

Makes me wonder who's really in charge here...

Charley said...

Don't you just love the challenges of a global society :)

Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

TJ said...

PINK HAS MONO!! oh mannnnnnn.
That can't be good...for either of you!

~:~:~
illegal aliens

Two words that just aren't right.
Put them together and it looks even worse...

I would not want to be anywhere I was referred to as a alien!

Anonymous said...

You seem like a decent person and have faced horrible tradgedy in your life. I'm sorry for that. I hope your princess brings you unimaginable pleasure over the coming years.

That said, when you are feeling angry about people who have come here from other countries looking for work who look different from you and don't speak English very well keep in mind that most of these people have starving children at home. Most of them have come here out of desperation. Their wives or their children are starving and there is no work in their country.

I worked years ago with people who were here illegally and I found them to be decent human beings who were just here so they could feed their parents, wives, and children who otherwise would be starving in their homeland. They were here without their family and worked very hard to take care of their family. I can only imagine that if I were in their position that I would do the same to keep my wife and daughter from being homeless and starving.

I do believe we need to protect our borders from terrorists but I also know what many "illegal immigrants" are going through because I have worked with them.