Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Six Years

At about 9:30 at night on Wednesday May 3, 2000, my beautiful 5 year old son Joshua was declared dead. The doctors and nurses in the ICU stopped trying to resuscitate him, and one of my favorite nurses came out to the nurses station to tell me that he was gone. Since all the rooms were only closed off by glass sliding doors, I had seen their valiant efforts, and there was really no reason to tell me that. No reason, I guess, except for the closure. The "hearing" the words said even when you don't want to hear anything. The brain tumor had finally won the battle.

Thinking about it now, it dawns on me that they hadn't pulled the curtains when they ran the code, and so the entire ICU had front row seats. At that time of the evening though, there were not many people left. Just kids sleeping, many in drug induced stupors.

Funny how I hadn't thought of that before.

I took myself to see "Stick It" today. Figured stupid comedy was just what I needed to take my mind off all that ails me. I managed to laugh a couple times, not sure I would actually advise anybody to go see the movie though! Overall it was pretty bad :-)

Princess tried gymnastics practice after school today. I kept her home from school 'til 10:30 - but she insisted that she wanted to try. They are practing their "routines" (and I use the word loosely) for the spring show, which is on June 1; and of course she did NOT want to miss a practice. She hung in there pretty good overall. Bedtime was a nightmare. She whined about everything, but I figured that would happen as tired as she was.

While mom & dad are still in Florida they are having a tree taken down. When we popped over after gymnastics to get their mail, the tree dudes were there, chain saws in hand and chipper at the ready. They had already brought a good portion of it down. Princess looks at me and says "can we just make sandwiches here and watch them out the kitchen window while we're eating?" What can I say? She's easily amused!

Despite all that, today has been tough. Six years seems so unreal. One of the boys we carpool with is in 5th grade, and I often try to wrap my mind around the fact that my son should be this old. He enjoys picking on princess more than picking on his own sister (perhaps because his sister learned to ignore him years ago? lol). I really have no idea how much my life would be different with two kids.

I just don't have the energy to talk about this anymore tonight. Thank you to all of you for lending me your support today through kind words. I could not ask for a better group of cyber friends :-)

9 comments:

TJ said...

Another year, I am sorry.
Thinking about the two of you.
Damn that has to be hard!!!

greatwhitebear said...

I realize no words can really help, but I hope the realization of how many people are thinking of you helps a little.

Christy said...

Kelly, here I sit with tears streaming down my face. How did THIS become our lives? Won't it be wonderful when the day comes and we wake up in Heaven and this insane "nightmare" is over? I know you love Gracie and Heaven can wait....but what a Family Reunion it will be!!!

I love you so much.

Charles said...

When you make it to heaven and you see your son for the first time, I bet you are going to give him the biggest and longest hug ever.

I guess I am easy to please too, because I would have watched them cut down the tree too. I guess I find things like that interesting. You can't just cut it from the bottom in neighborhoods. You have to start from the top.

Astaryth said...

Just {{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

Melinda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

My heart aches for you in reading your latest post. I have trouble wrapping my mind around things like that happening to a child and what it does to a mother's heart.

I'll be thinking about you today.

{{Hugs}}

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))).
I will be thinking of you today. I'm sorry for your loss, hon.

Charley said...

Wisdom chapter 4 is the only thing that gets me through the impossibility of understanding death.

With love and prayers,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

Kelly, You are in my thoughts and prayers! Linda