Sunday, November 13, 2005

Scared of the Dark

I love my daughter. She's a little neurotic sometimes, like her unreasonable fear of tornados, but I love her. I don't know exactly when this fear of tornados started, but the minute the winds kick up she wants to take her teddy bear and blankie and camp out in the basement. It makes me sad that at 8 years old she already has several things that she obsesses about. Top that off with the fact that it was windy as all get out here today and you can start guessing how my day went.
Tonight was a new one though. All of a sudden she claims she is afraid of the dark. I'm of the opinion that if you start a kid sleeping in the dark when they are little they simply don't know to be any better as they get older. Sure, I've got night lights in the hallway so when she gets up to go to the bathroom she doesn't injure herself - but we've never slept with a whole lot of lights on. Most of this past week she has been sleeping in my bed; and let me tell you there are no night lights in there!
I think it was possibly a ploy to stay up a little latter, her searching for something to whine about to stay awake a little longer. Her two friends that she does sleep overs with both have to sleep with a ton of lights on - so I think that's how the idea got into her little head. But, she's only eight. So, I just can't dismiss it as an irrational fear, because it might be true. She might be developing a fear of the dark. I doubt it! But you just never know.
I broke down and turned on a light for her in my room and closed the door part way. You know the drill - once I turned the light on it was too bright and it took us 5 minutes to find that perfect amount of light (but not too much light). KIDS!
At least I finally got her to sleep. We have to get up a few minutes early tomorrow because it's my day to drive car pool. Then I have to drag myself into work for a few hours. I don't even want to think about starting another week! I got a few things accomplished today at least. Got the kitchen picked up and put clean sheets on the bed. Princess kicked my butt at Uno and then at Sorry. And I didn't even let her, didn't even do the mom cheat and let her win - she beat me fair and square.
So I guess that makes me a tired loser :-D

No comments: